Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Celebrating Elle Woods: 15 Year Anniversary of Legally Blonde


"Oh, I like your outfit too, except when I dress up as a frigid bitch, I try not to look so constipated." 


Ladies it's the 15 year anniversary of Legally Blonde today! Reese Witherspoon was Snapchatting up a storm all day in commemoration of the film. She even brought out some old outfits she kept and did a bend and snap for old time's sake. And, well, you know me -I love me a trip down memory lane and soaking up fashion in film. I can never get enough nostalgia! I even keep an Excel spreadsheet of all the iconic fashion films I must eventually watch and regurgitate on here for everyone's enjoyment. For now though here's some fun Elle Woods facts for you and, of course, collages! 



 "I once had to judge a tighty-whitey contest for Lambda Kappa Pi. Trust me, I can handle anything." 

Sophie De Rakoff was the costume designer for this film and hit it off pretty quickly with Witherspoon through a shared love for Dolly Parton. After this film she continued to dress Witherspoon in 5 other films including, This Means War, Sweet Home Alabama, Just Like Heaven, and Legally Blonde 2. To prep for costuming Legally Blonde, her and Witherspoon actually went to check out some sororities in downtown Los Angeles. Serious research, people. 


The break-up dress was made by Witherspoon's make-up artist Molly Stern.
"I wanted something traditionally sexy, something reminiscent of an old-fashioned movie star, something that was more of a wiggle dress, something that was very captivating,” de Rakoff recalls of my favourite number in the movie: Elle's engagement break-up dress.


Hi. I'm Elle Woods, and this is Bruiser Woods. We're both Gemini vegetarians.

Like any fashion focused character in a flick, Elle Woods' wardrobe underwent a transformation as Elle transitioned from undergraduate sorority goddess, to ambitious Harvard law student, to burgeoning lawyer. Although she gradually became more serious in her wardrobe, wearing more contemporary labels like Celine to fit in with her Ivy League classmates, Elle consistency stuck with her signature colour pink. 


"This is the type of girl Warner wants to marry. This is what I need to become to be serious."

De Rakoff explains it was important for Elle Woods to remain true to herself throughout her journey so naturally she ended up pretty in pink for court. “It was about taking the idea of a wealthy, California sorority girl, and also a character that was very much obsessed with fashion. What that would look like when she went to Harvard, to the East Coast? How could she be a fish out of water, but still be true to herself? It was always about, what would Elle want to do in this situation? How would she dress herself? What would she think was appropriate?”  


"The rules of hair care are simple and finite. Any Cosmo girl would have known."

After visiting my old law school classmates last month, who are now practicing law, I have to say Elle certainly added more flare than your average lawyer-bear. I do often come across fashion blogs run by particularly stylish women in law though so there are Elle Woods' out there folks. And to finish off this post I'd like to leave you with a little inspiration Witherspoon left us all on Instagram today, "Live every day like Elle Woods after Warner said she wasn't smart enough for law school." #girlpower




SaveSave

No comments :